Saturday, June 14, 2014

Tour de Cure Kick-Off Ride

We met at Memorial Bicycle World  - I was almost as excited for this ride as I am for the actual charity ride

I checked in and received my TdC Halo headband - of course I put it on right away.  Now my helmet felt different, wasn't being held up by a bandanna anymore since I had a "real" sweatband now  LOL
We rolled out and headed through Terry Hershey Park, suddenly we were all stopped - a rider had fallen off the path into a rocky area - while waiting to be sure help was on the way the rest of the 25 mile group had gone on (unaware there was an injured rider) and now they were long gone, leaving a lot of us with zero idea where to go next.  We knew we needed to go over to George Bush Park but after that...
Shortly after getting to the GBP side we ran into some of the 10 mile group, we were informed a ride marshal was at the police station (4 miles ahead).  We were off again.  We found the rest of the 10 mile group and spoke with their ride marshal who gave directions to the rest stop - I was the only one who was familiar with the area and the group nominated me the leader.  What?!  Ummm, OK.
We made it to the rest stop and none too soon - it was getting hot hot hot outside - the AC in the Katy Bicycle World store was a welcomed relief.  I sat, ate a snack, drank more water, and sucked up their AC for a good 20 minutes.
Time to head back.  As we got closer to the rides end I was feeling weaker and weaker from the heat, this had me wondering about September - if 27 miles was bothering me like this, what was 30 miles gonna do to me?  Made it back to my truck and sat in the AC for a bit before taking off - felt worlds better - and hey how wouldn't feel better when you're rockin this look?  LOL


No comments:

Post a Comment